Bhrigu's question

कभी जो याद भी आता हूँ मैं तो कहते हैं के आज बज़्म में कुछ फ़ित्ना-ओ-फ़साद नहीं - मिर्ज़ा ग़ालिब

Name:
Location: the valley, California, United States

Bay Area, Strategy Manager, Haas- U. C. Berkeley, Marathons

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Book Tag - June 2, 2005

Thanks to Amit for book tagging me. Like he says, this is a list that is malleable. Next week, it may be different!

Note: There is a slight change in my links. I tried to link to audio interviews with the authors wherever possible. You can all google Amazon for the books.

Total number of Books I own: Between our family home at Bangalore and my place in the US, about 500.

Last book I bought: "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi and “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini.

Last Book I Read: "Benjamin Franklin" by Walter Isaacson. Still reading "Buddhism for Mothers" by Sarah Napthali. - it was gifted to my wife, but I grabbed it!

Five Books That Mean a Lot to Me:

These are books that I never tire of reading over and over again. There are other books that I have adored - "The Moor's Last Sigh", "Catcher in the Rye", all the Sherlock Holmes novels & short-stories, Asterix, Tintin, Enid Blyton and many works of non-fiction including (auto)biographies - Montgomery, Rommel, McNamara, Gandhi, Guderian, Slim, Gavaskar and so on. However, these are my five desert-island books.

"History of the Dvaita School of Vedanta and its Literature" and "Nyayasudha by Jayathirthamuni" - both by Dr. B. N. K. Sharma.

"Diwan-e-Ghalib" - Website by Frances Pritchett and "Love Sonnets of Ghalib", a book by Dr. Sarfaraz Niazi.

"The Jim Corbett Collection"

"Collected works of James Herriot"

I want to buy the "Hindi Film Geet Kosh" series and carry them with me. I do not have it yet. One man, Dr. Harmandir Singh "Hamraaz" is attempting to compile all the songs ever written in the history of Hindi cinema. He has reached till the mid 1980s. A lot of people are compiling this website for the same purpose.

Tag five people and have them do this on their blogs:

Sepoy
Patrix
Aaman Lamba - a pal from my days with the Karnataka Quiz Association.
Kiruba
Nitin Pai

3 Comments:

Blogger Suhail said...

err..FWP's site is not just Diwan-e-Ghalib. It's much more... a Desertful of Roses. A labour love. A child in it's own right - brought up with motherly(fatherly?) love and care.

And congrats on your completion of your commencement(why do they use these diametrically opp.words?)

OT:I've always wondered, who's this Bhrigu, and what's his question? And what is he doing with a quizman.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Mohtaram Suhail,

Yes, Indeed. But if I had a restricted hard disk, I would select her "desertful or roses". If not, I would select everything!

Thanks! It was a weary 3 years at U.. C. Berkeley, but well worth it.

Bhrigu's question came about as a result of a discussion with Madhu Menon in Yazad's blog. This site may help give some details.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Aaman said...

Thanks Arun,

I've finally got around to completing the tag - the Tag post is at http://selfaudit.blogspot.com/2005/06/book-tagged.html

Regards
Aaman Lamba

I'm going to be posting quite a bit on quizzing - I also post at blogcritics.org - mail me and we'll get in touch.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home