Bhrigu's question

कभी जो याद भी आता हूँ मैं तो कहते हैं के आज बज़्म में कुछ फ़ित्ना-ओ-फ़साद नहीं - मिर्ज़ा ग़ालिब

Name:
Location: the valley, California, United States

Bay Area, Strategy Manager, Haas- U. C. Berkeley, Marathons

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Kadamo.n ki aahaT

Which one came first? [The lyrics are in ITRANS]

Sahir/SDB/Munimji (1955)

abhii saa.Nso.n kii Kushabuu havaao.n me.n hai
abhii kadamo.n kii aahaT fizaao.n me.n hai
or

Kaifi Azmi/Hemant Kumar/Anupama (1966)

usake daaman kii Kushabuu havaao.n me.n hai
usake kadamo.n kii aahaT fizaao.n me.n hai

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ravikiran said...

Is that a rhetorical question? I never knew the existence of the first, but the second is one of my favourite lyrics.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Ravikiran,

No, not rhetorical. I wanted to know whether this is a common phrase used in many ghazals. If not, did Kaifi inadvertantly take the shair from Sahir? Well, I believe that Kaifi sahib would never steal. The shair may have registered in his mind and he may have used it later without realising that it was not his own creation. Alternatively, he could have published it in a book before Sahir did.

I really want to know.

7:15 AM  
Blogger sepoy said...

But, using a misra' of someone you admire is the oldest trope in the Ghazal pantheon - Mir/Dard, Ghalib/Iqbal, Hafiz/Iqbal, Ghalib/Faiz....on and on. No stealing, in fact, it was a pointed reference for the listener. A hyperlink to the original ghazal, if you will, that the listener could click on.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Sepoy,

Fair enough. In fact, I have blogged about that concept before. But I really want to find the originator of this particular shair. Sahir, Azmi or someone else?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous guitarcase said...

just reminds you how passionate urdu can be...

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home