Bhrigu's question

कभी जो याद भी आता हूँ मैं तो कहते हैं के आज बज़्म में कुछ फ़ित्ना-ओ-फ़साद नहीं - मिर्ज़ा ग़ालिब

Name:
Location: the valley, California, United States

Bay Area, Strategy Manager, Haas- U. C. Berkeley, Marathons

Monday, September 26, 2005

A spiritual ghazal

I've been listening to a very spiritual ghazal by Hasrat Mohani. You can listen to Abida Parveen's excellent version here (music by Muzaffar Ali), Mehdi Hassan's (very famous) version here, and Jagjit Singh's version here

Raushan jamaal-e-yaar se hai anjuman tamaam
by Hasrat Mohani

raushan jamaal-e-yaar se hai anjuman tamaam
dahakaa huaa hai aatish-e-gul se chaman tamaam

hairat Guruur-e-husn se shoKhii se iztaraab
dil ne bhii tere siikh liye hai.n chalan tamaam

allaah re jism-e-yaar kii Khuubii ke Khud-ba-Khud
ra.ngiiniyo.n me.n Duub gayaa pairahan tamaam

dekho to chasm-e-yaar kii jaaduu nigaahiyaa.N ++
behosh ik nazar me.n hu_ii anjuman tamaam

Shirini-e-Naseem hai soz-o-gudaz-e-Meer **
Hasrat tere sukhan pe hai lutf-e-sukhan tamaam


++ Mehdi Hasan sings it as "husn-e-yaar". I've transcribed Abida's version above.
** Thanks to Sepoy for his comments

Translations of words (from Platts)
===============
raushan = Light, lighted up, alight, illuminated; bright, shining, splendid, luminous
jamaal = Beauty, comeliness
anjuman = Assembly, meeting, company
tamaam = Complete, finished; perfect, entire, whole, full
dahakna = To burn, to blaze; to be burnt;
aatish = Fire, flame; anger, passion, rage
chaman = A bed (in a garden), flower-bed, a flower-garden

Gurur = pride, haughtiness, vanity, vainglory
husn = Goodness, goodliness; comeliness, beauty, pleasingness
shoKhii = Playfulness, fun, mischief; pertness, sauciness; coquetry, wantonness
iztarab = Agitation, perturbation, restlessness, distraction, anxiety

pairahan = Covering, mantle; a long robe; a kind of loose vest
chasm = The eye -- hope, expectation

Shirin = sweetness
Naseem = Naseem Dehlvi, poet, Hasrat Mohani's ustad [Apparently, Abida's CD cover translates the word 'Naseem' literally. I was told by my Urdu teacher that the misra refers to Mohani's ustad]
soz-gudâz= Burning and melting
Meer = Meer Taqi Mir
Hasrat = Hasrat Mohani - takhallus
lutf = delicacy; refinement; elegance, grace, beauty; the beauty or best
sukhan = Speech, language, discourse, word, words

20 Comments:

Blogger sepoy said...

quizman:
The maqta'a is

Shirin-e Naseem Hai Soz-o Gudaz-i Mir
Hasrat tere Sukhan pai, Lutf-i Sukhan Tamaam

The sweetness of Naseem is the cause for Mir's burnin' and meltin'
Hasrat, your speech/verse, culminates the grace of all speech

show-off ;)

http://www.ipaki.com/urdu/poetry/hasrat_mohani/roshan_jamal.shtml
شريني نسيم ھے سوز و گداز مير
حسرت ترے سخن پہ لطف سخن تمام

4:21 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Thanks Sepoy. This is great!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Cogito said...

Love the Mehdi Hassan version !

7:53 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Cogito,

Yup. It is excellent!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Suhail said...

some cross-posting frm my thread.

Finally got Tum Ek Ghorak Dhandha :)) 13th song from bottom. I just can't stop gushing!!

It covers many things from Islamic history, over and above questioning the existence and ways of God.

Needless, to say I will definitely write a full-length post..featuring lyrics, explanation, and entire religio-Islamic context attached to it.. all coming soon!!

Sepoy: Thanks for maqta explanation. Only when we know that Naseem was his ustaad, then things fall in place. Otherwise look at what I speculated, you'll have a good laugh at it :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger sepoy said...

It was a fun diversion to find that ghazal. The smack-talking of Hasrat, notwithstanding, that Mir was a smack talker too

12:46 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Sepoy,

I interpreted the maqta to imply that Hasrat's verse is far greater since it refers to the creator (a spiritual appeal) rather than merely appealing to the senses.

Of course, I've been wrong many times before.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Suhail,

Thanks for the link. I will go home and listen to it! Dying to go now. :-)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Suhail said...

pardon the misplaced comma in prevs comment, and just for the record.. and the link to my speculation shd have been this.

Note to self: don't comment when under a heady trance.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Eternity4ever said...

Hello Quizman??
I dont have a blog or a profile; I was actually looking for some more info on Hazrat Shah Niaz and wanting to understand some of his work; Abida has sung it so beautifully in this album - Raqs-E-Bismil.. http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/9/m/music_director.1624/ .. you think we can start a discussion on some of the songs there.. I cant find the words posted anywhere, perhaps if you can or I can sit and type them while listening to them... Iam absolutely immersed in the beauty of Sufi poetry and cant get enough of it for the moment, anyone share my eccentricity?

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Eternity4ever said...

Perhaps my previous comment didnt make any sense.. I was searching for Hazrat Shah Niaz and it brought me to your blog somehow, dont quite know how but not that I am here, I am hoping to stay.. I almost didnt write when I saw some reference to Sandeep Pandey {totally unrelated but I thought yours was one of the slander blogs} and then read what you had written and it makes perfect sense, as an Asha volunteer I can relate to the reasons you brought up the issue. so anyway, I thought it would be great if there can ensue some sufi poetry translating conversation.. In the meanwhile here is something I am grappling with today -

Maujo.n kaa aks hai Khat-e-jaam-e-sharaab me.n
yaa Khuun uchhal rahaa hai rag-e-maahataab me.n

vo maut hai ki kahate hai.n jisako sukuun sab
vo ai_n zindagii hai jo hai iztaraab me.n

DozaKh bhii ek jalvaa-e-firdaus se husn hai
jo is se beKhabar hai.n vahii hai.n azaab me.n

Us din bhii merii ruuh thii mahv-e-nishaat-e-diid
muusaa ulajh gae the savaal-o-javaab me.n

Main iztaraab-e-shauq kahuu.N yaa jamaal-e-dost
ik barq hai jo kau.ndh rahii hai naqaab me.n

Any help!???

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Eternity4ever said...

Ok, I dont what is wrong with me today!! I suppose I can attribute it to intoxication through Sufi poetry and Abid.

I didnt see that you have already translated one of the poems from the same album I have mentioned!! Gosh. I just didnt read it, coz of my fixation with Niaz didnt bother to see that Mohani is also on the same album.

But now, it makes perfect sense, at least I have found the right starting point, .. sorry for the unnecessary blabbering.... so want to translate "Zaahid Ne" next? There is one gorgeous ghazal from the album "Faiz by Abida"... I want to understand that one better too..- "Gul huyi jaati hai"..

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Wordsmithbv said...

Am looking for the beautiful ghazal 'Gul huyee jaati hai' by Faiz. Will someone post the words and meanings. Would be ever grateful. Thanks

10:33 AM  
Blogger Quizman said...

Eternity4ever, wordsmithbv,

Geez, I just saw your comments today (Jan 13th, 2006). Sorry for not responding. Hopefully, will rectify that error.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Mohib said...

Jagjit Singh has also sung this Ghazal by Hasrat. His version is also not bad IMHO.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Zain said...

Hey Quizman, I was searching for some further information on Harat Shah Niaz, who he was, where he belonged to.. If you have any information, I will be very much obliged if you share it.

many thanks.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For information on Shah Niyaz go to the following link

http://niyazia.wordpress.com/

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NASEEM means the beautiful wind...

10:40 PM  
Blogger Zain Khan said...

Beautiful Quotes Lab Pey Aati Hai Dua by Dr. Iqbal Sahab. Lab Pey Aati Hai Dua Ban Key Tamanna Meri Zindagi Shamma Ki Soorat Ho Khuda Ya Meri. beautiful quotes by dr. iqbal sahab

2:10 PM  
Blogger UVR said...

I think you may have slightly misinterpreted the maqta'. There is an implied comma in the first misra' which -- as was the norm with much of the written-down verse of Hasrat's time, and certainly the case with sung Ghazals -- the listener/reader needs to supply:

शीरीनी-ए-"नसीम" है, सोज़-ओ-गुदाज़-ए-"मीर"
"हसरत" तिरे सुख़न पे है लुत्फ़-ए-सुख़न तमाम

Here's what he's saying:

There is the sweetness of Naseem (in it), and the flaming passion of Meer
Hasrat! Look how benevolent Poesy has been on your poetry

Yeah, he's still bragging, but he's at least being somewhat decent about it.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home